is fertilizer toxic to dogs

Best answer


Clinical Signs. In dogs and cats,toxic components of fertilizers are typicallynitrogen,phosphorus,and potassium,which are poorly absorbed. Systemic clinical signs are rare but,when present,primarily relate to gastrointestinal irritation. Fertilizers with high concentrations of iron ( 1%) may cause iron toxicosis.

People also ask


  • Can fertilizers kill dogs?

  • For example: 1 Rose fertilizer can contain disulfoton which can be fatal to canines 2 Blood meal can have toxic levels of iron 3 Bone meal can cause cement-like obstructions in the intestines 4 Fertilizers containing pesticides made with organophosphates can lead to CNS symptoms, seizures, and death More …

  • What happens if a dog eats Scotts fertilizer?

  • One of the key ingredients in Scotts fertilizer is Iron (Fe). Iron can be toxic to pets, causing vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy , loss of appetite and even death in severe cases. If you already gave your dog Scotts fertilizers or grass seeds chances are they may have consumed some iron from it which could result in poisoning.

  • What should I do if my dog eats fertilizer?

  • If you think your dog or cat was exposed to fertilizer, contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline for treatment recommendations. The content of this page is not veterinary advice. A number of factors (amount of substance ingested, size of the animal, allergies, etc.) determine what is toxic to a particular pet.

  • Are lawn fertilizers safe for pets and children?

  • Fertilizers look scary 鈥?they often are applied by lawn services with warning signs stating that children and pets should be kept off the grass for at least 72 hours. In actuality, fertilizers are generally pretty benign; in fact, they typically have a wide margin of safety depending on what type of product is used.

    is fertilizer toxic to dogs

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published.

    Scroll to top